Monday, December 20, 2010

PG Strike Freedom - Wing Breakage

I can't say I'm surprised this happened considering how crappily this part was designed.  All that weight from the wings supported but a part that is basically a 1cm/2mm piece of plastic.  Impossible to tell what a piece of junk this is from the outside.  You have to wiggle the part in with a bit of pressure to get it placed correctly.  Unfortunately doing that will cause this piece to break.  Naturally.

Complete and utter CRAP.  How could an incompetent design like this pass quality control?!

Actually when I saw the break I was pretty angry.  They put all this work into making the wings beautiful and have movement and springs and auto extend capabilities and then they attach it to the back pack like this.  It just typifies some of the ridiculous things and policies I've seen since I've been here in Japan.  Like... you're going to do all of THIS but you aren't going to do something simple like this?!  Ugh.  But this isn't a Japan bashing topic.  This is a PGSF bashing topic now.

Maybe I could have avoided this if I was more careful (I did get the other one in without an issue) but I'm not the only one who's had this problem!  Thanks to Lupes for hooking me up with the link.  Apparently it's such a common problem that there is a dedicated fix for it out already!  Thus the reason why I'm not posting my own pictures.  Others have already had the problem.


I don't know where the hell I'm going to get my hands on aluminum pipes that size never mind finding a way to cut them.

Man it's frustrating... I was at the final stage of this section of my build process and then THIS happens!


Why design it like that?!  Pointless design detail that serves no purpose except serving to make a part that needs to be much stronger, much weaker.  Morons.

Anyways I'm pissed off if you couldn't tell.  I'm going to work on my own fix because I don't have aluminum pipes hanging about (probably going to do something similar to the RG RX-78-2 leg fix.)

Wish me luck.  Pics to come.

Times like this I need to just calm down and look at something beautiful.

Thank you for being there when I need you Nozomi.