Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010 Nagoya Gunpla Expo

I went at the beginning of the month. Sorry it's taken me so long to get around to the pics. Still haven't really found a great uploading system yet but I think I'm getting there.  You can see the full gallery by clicking on any of the links at the base of the pictures or by clicking here.

My former 'apprentice' and I went to this together.  Actually she was the one that told me about it.  I had no idea that it was going on.  A surprising (and refreshing) amount of young women were there.  I kept wondering why but the more I talk to people the more I'm starting to realize that Gundam isn't just for middle aged men. Not that I'm middle aged but you know what I mean.  Most of the JP guys that are into it were born in the late 60's or early 70's and were in elementary school when the show was first broadcasted.  So for me it's really cool to see young women (in their early 20's) showing an interest in this stuff.

It was actually kind of fun because my friend could teach me Japanese things (language, culture, celebrities) and I could teach her about Gundam things.  Mutually beneficial.  As it should be.  After we finished I bought her some sweets.  I think most girls like that type of thing... and she was such a sweetheart so... *shrugs*

1/48 Gundam painted to look like the 1/1 Gundam in Shizuoka!  They dd a great job with this.
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
My first look at the PG Strike Freedom with my own eyes. I was really shocked at the size!  Now I'm building the thing myself.
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
Want this jacket!
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
Prototypes of two of my favourite models.  I really enjoyed seeing this for some reason.
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
All young women here.  All of them taking pictures of Gundams!  I think they thought it was cool that all these famous Japanese celebrities designed Gundam colour schemes.
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
I think this one was designed by 3 members of the Japanese soccer team.
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
Seamo knows his Gundam.  Colour reversal.  Very clever.
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
Blue Destiny Nemo? As much as I like Feddie MP suits I  never really liked this.
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
Nice plaint job with the flames!
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
Zaku 1 in Gundam colours from the voice of Amuro Ray/Ribbons Almark himself.
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
Rikusen/Ground Gundam squad from the members of Glay.  I really liked this one.
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
Byaku-Shiki.  Kind of a funny name if you understand Japanese. 百式・白式
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
They had a rod of "Gundarium" there that you could touch and lift!  Quite light! haha Lighter and tougher then titanium apparently.
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
Bronze rod there for the sake of comparison along with the historical usage of the metal. Very heavy!  How did the ancient Greeks swing around swords of this?  Never mind wearing armour and shields.  No wonder those guys in "The 300" were so muscular!
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
Stainless steel and Titanium also provided for the sake of comparison
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
This is how a PG should be done.  Beautiful!
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
I thought this was funny!  Apparently building Gundam is good for your brain!  They did a study on it.  Certain parts of your brain are activated when you make Gundam that help with remembering things!  It's recommended that children build Gundam first and then do their homework/study!  Very interesting!
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
Mine.  New York Cheese Pancake.  DELICIOUS.
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010
Hers.  Strawberry parfait.  After she tried mine she wanted to trade. haha
From Nagoya Gunpla Expo 2010

I went to the Gundam Expo the year before (or was it the year before that?) and it was good but it was some stuff that I'd seen before at the Gundam Museum (when it was still in Matsudo). I wasn't so keen on going this year but I'm glad I did. It was much better than before. I didn't buy any of the special goods there though (not really into 限定 stuff as much as other folks not to mention it was a bit over priced in my opinion). Besides I'd already bought a MG model and parts before going so... I was good. I saw the model I'd just bought before there but it was MUCH more expensive at the Expo. Oh well. Gotta know where to shop! That's half the battle sometimes.

At any rate it was a good day!  I'm glad I got the chance to see this stuff and the best part is that it was all FREE!

3 comments:

  1. Cool Expo, I approve the message of kids building Gunpla first, do homework second! ^.^b

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course kids should build Gunpla first! That's only natural.

    Um...what's homework?

    ReplyDelete
  3. FREESTUFFS
    Epic study discovery! Brings up the question as to who's idea it was to start that anyways?
    THey had Luna Titanium there? That's amazing! Since when did Bandai manage to supercompress stuff like that?

    ReplyDelete