Monday, March 30, 2009

MSN-06S Sinanju - Work Log 13 - Forearm/Shield Modification

As I mentioned in my "Shield complaints" post I have some pretty major problems with how the shield was designed for this kit. After attempting a couple poses and having the shield fall off constantly, I decided that I wasn't going to have it anymore was going to do something about it.

The main things I wanted to achieve were 1. Increased stability and 2. A slimmed down silhoutte for the part. So I cut a lot of stuff off and sanded a lot.

One mistake I made was that I'd already painted and decaled the part but I just got so frustrated with that damn shield that I said "**** it. I've come this far so let's just do it right."
Initially, I tried liquid cement and yeah the parts stuck together but it didn't give me the stability I wanted (or maybe I was just paranoid) so I took them apart and re-did it thinking about chemistry. Basic Putty would melt the parts together creating a more solid bond and then I should shape and sand it to get it to the shape I wanted. Decided to go that route. Later on I realized that it would have been even better if I drilled holes and inserted a make-shift connection rod or two. Hindsight. I'd already commited myself and it was too late to go back, but I'll know better in the future.
The red boxes show where I removed plastic.

After cutting, sanding, puttying and sanding again.


Primed again to check for errors. There were lots.

Another angle.
After another round of sanding.

Painted.

I could have done a better sanding job because the surface is slightly uneven, texture wise but... at times like this you have to think of the time vs. looks/functionality ratio. It fell within acceptable parameters so I left it alone. It was a good call because the part isn't even really seen very well underneith the shield.

Not re-applying any decals to this part. Just leaving it as is. I don't want to **** with it any more because I basically have it how I want it. Sturdy and uniform. It's time to move on and put this horrible shield linkage design behind me.

3 comments:

  1. great mod there for the shield. I guess mistakes are unavoidable, especially in the haste when we try to get the job done right in the shortest time possible. But looking on the bright side, you did learn something out of it. so it wasn't all that bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you? I’m George. I believe i had contacted you before regarding a banner exchange. i'm wondering would you be interested in doing a banner exchange. drop me a message if you are okay with it. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. jacques - you said it friend!

    george - yes i remember. I will contact you again. I have a banner now finally haha

    ReplyDelete