Friday, February 1, 2008

Techniques - GM Powered Assembly

As I start my HGUC GM Powered kit, I'm spending more time than anything just visualizing what I'm going to do with it. Sand the whole thing? Take away all the seam lines? Why? Who's even going to see it? Am I doing it for myself? Of course I am! haha

I've realized that when it comes to modelling it really all comes down to 3 questions.

1. How much time do you want to spend?
2. How much money do you want to spend?
3. How good do you want it to look?

In my case, I'm in no rush to finish it. I have enough money to buy anything I want for it but I'm hesitant to spend the money on an airbrush because quite frankly I don't know enough about airbrushes to buy one with confidence. Especially since I've never used one before and am not really sure about the techniques.

I hand painted major parts of my MG RX 78-2 OYW because I didn't like the game colours so much. It turned out well I think.



I had fun doing it. I didn't think that an airbrush was necessary... but the texture the airbrushing gives can't be beat and I'm sure that I'll be picking one up eventually. Just for the sake of completing my training if nothing else.

So far I've only just clipped the parts from the runners and I'm cutting down the nubs with a design knife so its flush. No sanding of parts yet.

To be honest this is the part of modelling that I like the most I think. Cutting and prepping the pieces. It can be done at any time and does require any set up. Just take your runner and cut and then put it away when you're done. No messing with paints or bottles or glue. No creative decisions. Just stuff you can kinda do with your brain on auto-pilot and there's nothing wrong with indulging in that now and then. I call it 'Excercises in mental multitasking' haha. But I know what you're thinking. When you cut out pieces you have to pay attention to the numbers and letters of the panels so you can be sure that you're cutting out the right pieces.

That's true but... I'm breaking away from tradition this time... I'd forgotten how small HGUC's are. There were only 4 large panels!

Small considering I'd just come off of a modern MG build. So... I cut out ALL of the pieces first instead of assembling the suit section by section. It makes it a bit more confusing since you have to search for each individual piece visually and not by the number/letter system. It's OK though. It just like... advanced LEGO or something. And of course I am using the manual for assistance. I don't need that much of a challenge. So far so good. No major issues.





2 comments:

  1. Yo T,
    Love what u done with this kit. Can you post a larger pic, so I can see your detail work. I like the color too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure man, I'll be posting A LOT of pics as soon as I fix this beam rifle!

    ReplyDelete