Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Zeta Gundam Movies

I just watched the first one last night and I have to say... Wow!  I actually tried to watch it years ago before I knew anything about Zeta or even 0079 for that matter and I just ended up falling asleep.  Probably because I watched it at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon while waiting for my gf at the time to get off work.  Wasn't really into it.  But I watched it again last night (at a friends request) and I was totally blown away!  It's SO good!  Of course they skipped a lot but they kept the best/most important parts in there I think.  It was 2h of solid entertainment!  At least I think it was 2h.  I can say this now after having watched both Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam in their entirety.  
Whereas I could only watch the Original Gundam movie trilogy in sections (about 30 minutes at a time.  It was kind of repetitive and the old style animation didn't really do much for my modern sensibilities)  the first Zeta movie was an action packed 2h and totally worth it.  It blends new style 2005 animation techniques with the original Zeta animation from 1985.  Very impressive and highly recommended if you're a UC fan.  Then again... If you're a UC fan you're probably saying "Damn this guy is just watching this NOW?!".  Yeah...  I know.  Check out this clip!  So good!  I love seeing old style UC done with modern techniques!  They should have done this for the original series for the 30th anniversary of Gundam!  Maybe they'll do it in 20 years for the 50th?!


I gotta say... after watching the MS Gundam compilation movies and now the first Zeta Gundam movie... The whole series becomes much easier to understand (despite a couple of differences). I told my friend that it's good that she's seeing it like this. It's better than the original imo. Especially for beginners.

Did you watch the compilation movies of 0079 and/or Zeta?  If so how did you think they compared with the series if you watched those too?

4 comments:

  1. I watched through 0079 series, 0080, 08th MS Team, and 0083, and by the time I got to the first Zeta movie (I don't have the series yet) I was kinda burned out. Your post has inspired me to go back for seconds, in between finishing Breaking Bad s3 and moving on to the Shield s7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zeta is by far my fav series just because it was such a leap forward in terms of animation and story from First Gundam. Watching 0079 is required to get the foundation of what "Gundam" is, but it's really painful to watch due to the dated animation. Zeta though was damn good overall, and the Zeta movies are a lot easier to watch then the 0079 movies. I watched the TV but couldn't finish the first 0079 movie due to it just dragging on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, god, if 0079 was done like this fans like us would die of overdose on win. Just imagine! A somehow more awesome version of Char Ga Kuru!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still need to watch the Zeta movies myself!

    ReplyDelete