Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Entering the Airbrush Era - Preface

It hasn’t been a full 2 years since I started to take this hobby seriously. And by seriously I mean simply doing panel lines for the first time. Since that time when I first started working on the 1/100 Red Frame, I’ve learned a helluva lot and even started this blog in order to track my progress.

A short while back... near the middle of this month, I reached a turning point. Came to a crossroads so to speak. And I crossed it. I didn’t stick with what I knew and decided to do something that made sense practically and financially.

I bit the bullet and bought an airbrush.


It all started when I tried to paint my Sinanju bazooka in metallic black after priming. There was no paint left in the can. Not enough to paint even one part properly. And I said to myself that this was it. I wouldn’t spend any more money on these cans. It was a waste. A waste of space, paint, metal and probably money even though I'd thought that I was saving money.

Now I realize that as soon as you have an airbrush, the amount of money you spend on paint decreases considerably. Like almost next to nothing in comparison. You'll be using a lot more thinner though. However large amounts of thinner is much cheaper than large amounts of spray paint.

That said... I realize now that even with an airbrush you probably will need to buy the occasional can of paint and primer now and then. I painted my Sinanju with TS-40 Tamiya Metallic Black.


They don't make paint vials of that. If I wanted to stay consistent I'd have to buy another can of it... totally defeating the purpose of me buying this airbrush to begin with. The closest I could find was Mr. Color #78 Metallic Black.


I haven't tried it out yet to know if it will work or not. Either way I decided to use some left over flat black that I've had for years and also have an abundance of.



Sometimes I feel like I don't want to go through the trouble of using the airbrush and cleaning it when I can just spray the part one time with a can of spray paint and get it over and done with quick.

To each his own though right? I'm happy to at least have the option now. And the added control and creativity that an airbrush provides.

Considering all the paint like I’ve bought until now, I'd say the price has just about evened out. I have about 12 cans of paint and have already gone thought about 10 or so already, not including primers which are more expensive. At over 500 yen per can I’ve probable spent about 15000 on paint already. And that’s with me using paint semi frugally. I know for a fact that Gai Gun and ASM use paint and top coat considerably more liberally than I do.

So... I'd been to the shop earlier to buy some AM hands and aurora decals and while I was there I decided to browse the airbrushes just for the sake of doing so. I was curious.

There is no doubt that these things are expensive. I saw some set getting upwards of close to 40000 yen. That's pretty risky and intimidating for the beginning modeler who is just interested in recolouring and not much more than that. Some sets came with brushes but no AC adapter, or an adapter but no brush. Or just brushes with no compressors. I didn’t want that any of that. I wanted the whole set up so I could get off and running quickly and that's what I got and that's what I did.
I went for the simplest, most basic set-up I could find to suit the type of work I'd be doing. Recolouring. I don't need a super fine brush because I'm going to be painting flames or lightning on these things. I'm changing a grey part to blue, red to green. That type of stuff. I don't know about double action or single action or whatever, but the trigger grip looked like it was easy to use so... I didn't know anything about compressors either but it said it has a special molded body to reduce noise and that was enough for me.

But I have to admit that I did deliberate over it for some time. I must have walked around the store with all the stuff my arms for 30 minutes before I decided to just get it over with. I rationalized it by thinking that a couple hours of private tutoring will make enough money to pay for it. I can sacrifice that. Why I am such a cheap bastard! Just go for it already. No wife, no kids, decent, stable job, I've got money... so why not?!

After picking it up and using it for a while I have to say that I’m pretty happy that I did. It has given me the effects and finish that I’ve always wanted. And I realized that one of the things that got me into modeling was seeing all those finished products that had been done with airbrushes. We all know that if we want to get the most out of this hobby it’s going to result in an airbrush purchase eventually. I am no exception to this.

For the sake of archiving I'll talk about my first experience with the brush in a seperate post.

11 comments:

  1. I can tell it's a tamiya brand...what kind specifically though? I'd basically do the same kind of work as you so this is really relavant to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on taking the next step with the airbrush, I’ll definitely be watching your blog on your progress with it. Looking forward to that first experience post.

    Top coat aside, I will admit I used paint cans rather liberally with the Sinanju. To tell the truth, I found it annoying, because of the sheer amount that gets wasted when spraying pieces. I think the paint alone ended up being more than the cost of the model at retail. Also, the mess, you understand well I’m sure that it’s not easy to spray paint when you live in a Japanese apartment.

    I like how you’re honest with some of the negative points, in particular those colors that are available in a Tamiya can aren’t available in a format for airbrush use. I guess you start learning to mix there, eh?

    On the other hand, one thing I’m very interested in is the quality of spraying, can you use the gun to spray in a smaller area, without the giant cloud of paint gas floating around? Does it feel safer?

    I myself will eventually have to get around to getting an airbrush. The Sinanju turned out great, but that may be the exception, my Kshatriya, is looking rather Shatty, pardon the pun. The Hi-Nu, while ok, still looks… well spray painted… Unfortunately for me, it’s called budgeting, and I may end up going through my backlog, as I realize I may not have the time or interest to build all the kits I bought at bulk. (Anybody interested in an unopened MG Sazabi kit?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also close to purchasing an airbrush. My co-worker, who is an avid modeler, pretty much demanded I move to an airbrush after he saw my Sinanju. According to him, the mess while spraying with an airbrush is minimal if you have a well ventilated room and spray near an open window. I think I will purchase some cheap kits to get rid of the large amount of spray I have remaining and then move on to an airbrush this winter if I have sufficient funds after my winter bonus. Onwards and upwards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went through the same experience as you did when i first bought my airbrush and compressor, spent up to an hour in the shop before I finally decided to buy it. And the rest is all history.

    The best advice preharps is that, if you're sure that you'll be in the hobby in the long run, the sooner and better it is for you to commit to buying an airbrush set. The price may be a little steep at first but it will offset in the soon enough, as compared to buying tons of spray can.

    Congrats to your purchase! looking forward to hearing your experience. The tamiya spraywork was also in my consideration initially when i was first shopping for an airbrush. Is this version one or version 2?

    ReplyDelete
  5. lupes - this is the one i bought.

    http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/74520basic_comp/basic_comp.htm

    ASM - yeah i know what you mean. it was really frustrating for me using up massive amounts of paint just to spray one small piece. the thing i love about this airbrush is that its really efficient. i have to thin out the paint im using so i use about half a paint cap worth of paint plus thinner and that was enough to do one full coat on the sinanju bazooka. very cheap and efficient. not much wasted paint at all depending on how you're spraying. yeah i know how tough it is to spray living in a jp apartment. not easy in such cramped quarters! not to mention the mess and the waste. you know all about it.

    you asked about spraying in a smaller area without the big cloud and if its safer and i'll give you a concrete YES to both those questions. I was shocked at how... compact the whole process is. just imagine using your mouth to blow paint on a part. thats basically the scope, power and precision we're talking about here. very easy to manage. outside of the cleanup which isnt exactly a pain but it exists. there is no clean up with spray cans. you just put the lid on.

    gai gun - you have the right idea! and your co worker pretty much got it right if you ask me. onwards and upwards!

    jacques - you can probably tell from the link i put at the top of this message. i believe its ver. 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can really advise you to make a spray cabin.
    it aint really hard, only a tiny bit expensive for 1 time.
    i did build my own one and none of the stuff i have in my room suffers on the paint wich would normally flow trough the room if you dont have a spray-cabin.

    take a good thought about because i read some storys about modellers who destroyed their computers with the exces paint that will flow through the room.
    (if you know what i mean)

    here is a link to my cabin:
    http://gunpla-building.blogspot.com/2009/07/finally-finished.html

    it only needs a filter in front of the fan (wich is not on the photo)

    ReplyDelete
  7. its a nice idea and ideal but hard for us who live in japan and have no space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahahaha lack of space is the same here.
    i can really recommend it when you have things like computer, tv and that sort of stuff in the same room. if you dont have any thing like that in the same room then a good ventilation way should do the trick.

    keep in mind that the exces paint will alsoget sucked in your airbrush-airfilter over time and clog op bit by bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah i do actually and im a bit concerned about that but my options are limited. ah what to do! jp apartments were not made for things like this i think! but thanks for the advice

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure you've probably seen all of the youtube vids

    http://www.evilcow.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=920&PID=8208#8208

    Probably wouldn't hurt to watch a couple of them again to get your technique down.

    You know the honeycomb thing they use in some of the Plamo Tsukurou vids? It's not quite a Mr. Spray Booth but a similar idea? Maybe you should look into one of those.

    Man.. reading your AB posts makes me want to pull my finger out..

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yeah very good memories of these vids. i dont mind watching them again. i probably should now with all of the new knowledge i've gained.

    i wonder what that honeycomb thing is exactly. i've kept my eye out for it but havent seen it anywhere!

    ReplyDelete