Thursday, September 17, 2009

Re: Gundam blogs, specifically my own.

Let's face it. We're a dime a dozen.

Everybody and their mom has a Gundam blog these days and that's cool. The more there are of us the better as far as I'm concerned. Strength in numbers and all that. I could talk at length about the subject but I'm only going to touch on a couple of things in this post.

This post will serve a two fold purpose. 1) To talk about Gundam blogging in general and 2) To thank all of my readers as I've reached a personal milestone concerning this blog, that being getting 30 subscribers.

First I've seen a couple of blogs mention about post numbers, hits, page views etc. so here are mine:



Latest full numbers are for the month of August 2009.

5652 hits / 11731 page views.

Compared from my first full month of blogging in February 2008

828/1619 respectively.

The growth percentage formula I'm using is # of increase, / by starting number, *100. Round off to the nearest whole number

That's an increase of 583% for hits and 625% for page views in about a year and a half of blogging. I will accept that. In fact I'll go so far as to say that I'm pleased (^_^)v. It's always good to know that people are looking at the stuff you're posting.

The next thing is something that really shocked me when I first saw it.



178% growth in a day?! Totally random. Never seen it before or since. I still wonder wtf that was all about. I don't think I did anything special that day. Blah. Who knows.

As I mentioned before Gundam blogs are numerous but we are not all cut from the same cloth, so to speak. Z's blog concentrates largely on reviews and even though he started after me his blog gets considerably more traffic than my own. What I get in month he can get on a good day. Which is natural, he has a more resource oriented blog, not to mention a lot of ****ing Gundams and quality reviews/pics. I can clearly see why his blog is so popular.

Blogs like Ngee Khiong concentrate almost solely on the newest Gunpla/toy news. And then there are my favourites, traditional Gunpla blogs like Lupes and Gaijin Gunpla which concentrate largely on the craft of Gunpura itself. Not to mention all the other blogs in between like Gundam Guy's blog who does a bit of both. We all hit something a bit different. And there are a lot of aspects to this little hobby of ours.

My blog has become something I never really intended it to be. It's a mix of everything. I talk about the models I'm building, physical paradoxes in the theoretical technologies (yeah. sorry about that.), art, mecha, asian women (huh?) That reminds me. I think it's time for a break.


Yeah...

>_>

<_<

What was I talking about again? Oh right. I'll talk about almost anything related. And let's not forget philosophical rants and ramblings. Hell there are even a couple resource sections here.

Initially I created this blog in order to chronicle my experiences as I was just starting to engage in Gundam models a bit more seriously. I made this blog just after I panel lined a model for the first time.

red-al-5

I've come a long way since then and I have a lot of you to thank for that. This community has taught me so much and I'm grateful. Grateful for your support and encouragement. Grateful to all of you for continuing your own blogs and providing insight for the rest of us on how others do it and how we, ourselves, can do it better.

I know... where is this all coming from? Why now? It's not really a special time at all really but it is something that's been turning around in my mind for a bit, especially after I recently got to the 30 subscriber mark for this blog. That to me means more than any number of hits I get. I'm happy to have readers and I want to thank all 30 of you for subscribing.

So, "Thank you!"

Here is some candy:



I won't compare this blog to any others. I believe it's become a unique entity unto itself, different in it's own right. We are a dime a dozen but no two of us are exactly the same. We're all different and we all have different approaches. We all have a different take on what we want our blogs to be. I like the diversity. I want to encourage all of you bloggers, forum operators, webmasters, modelers and most importantly the readers and lurkers to continue what you're doing. Our community is stronger because of your efforts.

Here's something for all of you. Thanks again!