Wednesday, February 25, 2009

More PG Astray pics and news

I was away filming a documentary for a couple of days and when I got back my Hobby Japan was waiting for me in the mail. Instead of wasting time scanning it myself I'm just going to use other images already on the net. Same thing. Someone just beat me too it. Image courtesy of SRW hotnews.


I was reading this in bed last night. I'm pretty excited about this one. I'm going to be there on the day it's released! I've been waiting for a new PG for so long. Just wasn't really feeling the other ones so much... but I have been having some crazy ideas for PG Wing Zero Custom recently...
Maybe someday!
For now this Astray is at the top of the list. It's kind of wierd... I was thinking of displaying it but my 1/100 Astray is right there too! I almost never get two model kits that are the same type just on principle. I want a different experience each time I build a model. That's part of the reason why I didn't buy the Musha Gundam. Same frame as the OYW version. Granted it is considerably different but still... One exception to this rule has been the Infinite Justice. I have 3 of those. But in my defence, it is probably one of my favourite mobile suits ever. And I have 5 VF-1 type Valkyries...
My mind is running over ideas for what to do with the Astray once I get it... I'm definitely doing a re-colour... but I think I'm only going to re-colour the frame and just leave the white armour as is. Just thinking... Still about a month before it's released but it's really going to be the center piece of my collection. I'm sure of it. I thought the Sinanju would be but I'm just this one is going to overshadow it. Literally.
I have a long history with the Red Astay. It's a very important suit to me for many reasons (and not just the one's mentioned in this blog). I'll spare you the details but it's always going to be a suit that's close to my heart. I'm glad that it is becoming a PG. Not many suits get that honour. I am glad the the Red Astay is one of them now.
It is worthy.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you're aware that if you pre order the kit early you get the deluxe package with the extra sword right? I'm guessing you have an affinity for double swords... Check out Ngee Khiong's blog. I pre ordered through amiami for about 5000 yen less than the listed price on HLJ and the best part is I can pay by COD as it arrives when I'm in Japan. Apparently the dengeki hobby around that time will come with "special markings" for the PG Astray RF too.
    I don't think you need to worry about having the same building experience between a NG 1/100 and a PG - even though it's the same mech I'm sure there will be a marked difference. If you didn't build the PG Strike you will probably have a new experience on the cards, as they share the same frame.
    There's a bit of discussion about it at the Gundam Australia Forum: http://www.evilcow.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1128

    I built the PG WZC and for all the bashing it gets on the net I thought it was awesome fun. My first PG and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nothing special, just an OOB shave down the nubs and panel line job, but I'm really happy with how it came up. You can see the WIP here if you're interested:
    http://www.evilcow.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=863

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dang the PG Red frame astray! every gunpla addict should get one of these baby.. i wonder whats the building experience on PG kits..

    ReplyDelete
  3. tonzo i didnt know about that. pre order. well you're right, i do have an affinity for double swords and i really want it... so I'm going to look into that pre order thing.

    also didnt know about that dengeki hobby decals. just further reinforces my idea that dengeki hobby is superior magazine to hobby japan.

    i have a pg strike so i gather the experience will be similar. i also have a ng 1/100 astray so... between the two of them... haha its not going to stop me though. i love this MS!

    thanks for the links! see you on the boards

    ReplyDelete