Thursday, March 31, 2011

New Era - Work space

The last shipment of soldiers came in a couple of days ago so I officially have of all my Gunpla amassed in one location.  This is the moment I was waiting for.  Granted, on the first day of spring the first wave of Gunpla came in but it didn't officially "end" until this Monday.

Since I've been back I haven't been posting as much on my blog but more on my fb page as it's easier and faster but I have been working on Gundam related things relatively consistently.  I did lose a lot of my motivation after the earthquake hit though.  I don't know why.  It didn't affect me directly but... I don't know.  I was in a weird state.  I couldn't focus on anything really so I just threw myself into games for a while.

Up until that point I was working on the Titanium Finish RX-78-2 and was trying to set up the basement.

So let's talk about that right now.

There was a room in my basement that's wasn't being used for anything expect storage... and there isn't even really a lot of things in there. Some tools and some old technology.  It's a really nice room though.  Finished flooring, painted, double french doors, pot lights.

I decided to confiscate it.

I would have liked to have had a wood grain finished table like I had in Japan but that's not that big of a deal.  It's just that I did ALL of my Gunpla on that table in Japan and it sometimes feels strange doing it in another setting.  State dependent learning maybe.  I had everything set up perfectly... but that took 3 years to get right.

Gonna miss this thing...
But this is 2011 and this is the new era so let's get to it!

Had some old speakers and a very old stereo set (from when I was in highscool! No aux option, pre mp3 era) so after a bit of re-wiring I got all 3 speakers connected WITH an extra connection for my mp3 player.  Could use a bit more speaker cable though...  When my mom's old company downsized she got a lot of office equipment from them.  This desk is courtesy of the global economic downtown.

This shelving is also from my mom's company going out of business.  Could have used another shelf but I'm certainly not complaining.  Most of this stuff was just sitting around in my house disassembled for I don't even know how long before I came and give it all a purpose.

Gonna be spending a lot of time here.

Currently playing.  The old speakers can still kick out enough power and bass for my purposes.  RIP Guru.

Limited edition Hyaku Shiki PS2.  A gift from my very first Japanese "assistant" before I left Tokyo.  God bless her.  We went to the Gundam Museum together when it was in Matsudo.  She lived in Kita-Matsudo and I lived in Shin-Matsudo.  Her family lived in Higashi-Matsudo.  I can only thank my lucky stars that of all the places in Japan I could have been sent for my first tour I was sent to the only place in the world that had a Gundam Museum.  I went there so often that it stopped being special.  I even found a secret way in so I didn't have to pay.  I bought my PG Zeta there.  Memories!

Testing out the lighting from the pot lights.  Position 1. Dark.

Position 2.  Dark but better.

High position, high contrast.  Better but impractical.  These shots are a bit inaccurate.  It's actually brighter than this down there.
I may just make that my work area and take the final shots in another place.  Like my room.  I prefer this type of lighting personally.


It's still going to take a while for everything to get setup properly but... It's going to happen.  
It has to happen.  The best part of all of this is that it has cost me NOTHING.  It's just stuff that was laying around unused.  That in itself makes me feel good.

This is the moment I've been waiting for.  It's time to commence; "Operation Unification".

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on the setting up of your work space XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice workspace. You'll get used to the change soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, a good workspace is hard to let go...Not that I've suffered it; my first workspace was terrible, and I've yet to have a good setup.
    And since it has cost you nothing, you can invest in some nice stuff that suits your minimum requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have experience with moving - uprooting yourself and getting booted out of your comfort zone. But it's great that you're making great use of what you have! How you deal with your new environment and how you work to change it will eventually grow on you soon enough.

    That said, I gotta get me at least two metal racks like what you have. My current shelf space is starting to run out due to all the kits I've been getting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not once in my life have i ever worked on a Gunpla on a table before. I wonder, is it more efficient than on the floor?

    That's one tidy workstation you've set up for yourself. Cool that you got to work something out to start modeling again. I'm sure you'll get cozy with it just like you did with your previous one in Japan!

    P.S Thanks for the "Respect Due" link shout out ^^. I noticed recently that your blog has been in my "top 3 referrers" spot when I check my stats. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thoroughly anticipating Operation: Unification.

    ReplyDelete
  7. z you're welcome man. thank you too!

    ReplyDelete