Monday, November 22, 2010

Painting Copper

I saw this tutorial at FitchenFoo and couldn't help but marvel at the techniques this guy uses.  I'm really a sucker for metallic paints and this guy has got his technique down it seems.  Truly an inspriration.

Worth a look.  I think we can all learn something from him.


That said I think a lot of it has to do with materials.  He's picked up a lot of tools and good materials to work with.

One thing I don't get here is that he says he primed and then sprayed flat black and then went on with his Alcad copper.

You can see here that it still looks pretty shiny and has a nice finish even with the flat black undercoat...  Is that just because the Alcad paints are that good?  I thought when you're painting metallics that you should put down a coat of gloss black and then do you metallics.

Did he do this because he was going for a more lusterless/weathered final look from his copper?

There are times when I feel that I'm so far away from really making the type of stuff I want to but sometimes when I see stuff like this and I see the possibilities I feel like... this is probably going to be a hobby that I'm never going to be able to really give up.  There's just so much... depth!  The sky is really the limit with this stuff sometimes.  From simple snap builds to stuff like this...  So much to learn...


I have a strong feeling that next year is going to be a good year for me in this regard. I plan on really stepping my painting game up a notch. Less buying. More refining.

5 comments:

  1. Metallics is all in the prep work homes. Sanding that black coat progressively finer until you disappear up your own asshole. Think about it, what are you achieving by sanding gloss black up to 2000 grit? Not much more than you are with doing it to flat I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! god help me if i disappear into my own asshole! haha. i didnt realize there was even a point to sanding gloss

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's stuff like this that really set the pros apart. I barely consider myself an adept. I've only begun experimenting with sanding for anything other than removing nubs and parting lines.

    Polishing the paint looks like it could get complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the write-up. I just buffed this metallic Mr. Metal Color paint with a soft toothbrush. You'd be amazed. As for polishing/sanding... again, it depends on the type of high gloss you want. For the Markov, it was annoying, but necessary. It's something you need to try and see before dissing. I used to think 8000/10,000 grit was pointless too... until I used them. ;-)

    Oh and I primed with flat black 99 cent walmart spraypaint. It's actually very nice paint, AND CHEAP! The flat, yes to dull the luster a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you very much for you comment!

    i cant imagine how one can 'buff' with a tooth brush. it must be REALLY soft! i use tooth brushes to get a weathered metallic look so we must be using totally different types.

    ive actually got some 10000 grit here too but havent found a reason to use them yet. i wonder when that day will come!

    nice call on the wal mart paint! good to know that it's actually usable!

    ReplyDelete