Wednesday, July 21, 2010

HLJ VF-27 - WIP 0 - Intro / Preface

Well I've gotten my first 'job' as a modeler and here it is.  The VF-27 Lucifer.

This is what's been keeping me busy for the past couple nights.  I didn't do anything until I confirmed with the HLJ staff how they wanted to proceed and their expectations.  Now that that's all out of the way now I can get started on this fully.

I changed the banner to commemorate the event.  Kept it green because the MGIJ is still my main project but has temporarily been put on the back burner until I wrap this up.

Here are some shots of when I first received it.

From VF-27
From VF-27
From VF-27

Some of you may remember that I posted about this kit a long time ago when the mass produced version was announced.  Now I finally have the chance to build it courtesy of the kind people at Hobby Link Japan, who provided this kit for me (+stand!) free of charge on the condition that I make a build log at Hobbylink.tv of the kit.  Easily done.

Here are some pics of the stand.

From VF-27
From VF-27

Seems to have been made specifically for planes.

Please do check out their goods by clicking on the banner below.  They certainly do have an impressive inventory!
First I want to thank all the people involved who helped to make this happen.  Thank you.  I love you.

Second I want to mention some things about the history and the design of the plane.

The VF-27 is the successor of the VF-25 but looks like it's more from the SV-51 design tree as opposed to the VF-0 (which just happens to be on sale!) design that the VF-25 descends from.  Actually both planes share a lot in common as far as how the transformation mechanisms work which leads me to believe that the VF-27 is more like the VF-25 structurally and fundamental but takes some design elements from the SV-51 design.  I believe that's the most accurate way I can put it.
Now... building the VF-25G (shown here) helped a lot concerning what to expect from this kit.  The VF-25 was no joke.  It's a beautiful, beautiful kit and plane.  But it isn't easy and the VF-27 has even more movable parts so I'm pretty sure I'll have my work cut out for me.  During the entirety of this build process the VF-25G will be present.  At the end I'll do some touch ups on it as well as a comparison between the two fighters.

I've always liked the VF-27.  Simple armament and a design that harks back to one of my favourite fictional planes ever, the Falken (1/100 scale! Oh I'd love to build this!), because of the enclosed canopy and the bold colour scheme.  I also like the extra thrusters on the wings.  And don't get me started on the beam rail gun/gun pod...  It's an impressive machine.  Not the biggest fan of the fuchsia or the pilot but those are minor things.

Onto the kit itself:

Because this build is supposed to be a basic review of the kit I won't be doing anything radical and will be approaching it more from a beginner/intermediate stance, illustrating some of the most basic techniques that you can use to make a regular kit look really nice.  That's not saying I'm going to do all of them myself but I will show you how and where to do it if you're inclined to do so.  For that reason this build process/WIP will also double as my first tutorial.

If you're interested in picking up the VF-27 for yourself please do check Hobby Link Japan first.  It is a great source for all you're modeling needs!  They have just about everything!

7 comments:

  1. Nice introduction to the project. As someone who has never built a Macross kit before I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Macross kit are a bit more complicated than your normal Gundam kits. Looking forward to your build.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niiice, looking forward to following yout build. Also mucho congrats this is well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like one of the greatest jobs ever! For a gunpla-builder, of course. I'm curious as to whether or not you're going to cover the VF-27 with all them waterslide decals or not...
    Also, that Falken kit's not easy to come by, but I found it for around 55$ at a hobby shop in Canada. I suppose its an excuse to fly here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa... I'm actually interested in building this kit after reading that, and I pretty much have never been remotely interested in a Macross kit ever! That first pic is awesome, like a meaner, sleeker, less gangly Enact.

    Really looking forward to the vids, and great to see HLJ branching out more and more into the online community!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have always wanted to build one of the Macross Frontier kits (especially the VF-27)even though I have yet to watch the series, but was always scared off of them by the fact that I still can't properly transform my MG Zeta 2.0 without hearing a sound that makes me think it's going to break.

    Hopefully, this changes my mind. Good luck with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah guys building a macross kit isnt like building a gundam. its a lot more complicated. Gotta be more careful.

    shaomu - im using ALL the waterslides because its supposed to be a review of the kit. so i'm going the whole nine yards with it. well maybe 8 but you know what i mean. and im from canada! i'd just be returning home. still though i cant imagine it being cheaper than japan.

    tonzo good way to describe it. it is kind of similar to the enact. but way better. yeah im really happy with what HLJ is doing as well as far as the community goes.

    zro- yes you definitely have to treat them with care! they can be played with tho!

    ReplyDelete