Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Unicorn Display Base

Remember how I said that I might not even open the box? Well, that didn't happen.






Unicorn Mode actually has eyes! My first time to see it so clearly. Similar to the Sinaju it's really hard to see the eye/s of this MS in Unicorn Mode. I wonder why they made both of the main mobile suits like that?

The transformation sequence of this base is not that difficult to do and both heads look equally nice to me, however the Destroy Mode version edges it out a bit because the Unicorn Mode's 'horn' isn't a solid one piece unit and looks a bit unsightly to me at times. I can now really appreciate the design of this MS. It really is a piece of art. As I don't have the MG version to compare it to I can't say what's different and what's the same but I now have a new level of respect for the design.

Not sure what 1/144 suit I can put on this thing but I like having the 1/48 Unicorn head by itself. Not sure when or if I'm going to paint it but I probably will someday. I'd say it's worth the money! The magazine it comes with isn't bad either! Now that my Hobby Japan subscribtion has run out (it's been a year already!) I'm free to buy more Dengeki Hobby's which in my opinion is a superior magazing for people who like Gunpura primarily and not stuff like... Queen's Blade. Not that there's anything wrong with Queen's Blade but I'm just saying... I'm buying the magazine for Gundam, not for... uh... well... yeah.

I like how Dengeki Hobby now starts with the months important hobby news. It's a nice little difference between it and Hobby Japan. One amongst many. The calibre of modeling is better too imo. Can't believe I'm saying this... but I'm glad to be free of my subscribtion to Hobby Japan. Good magazine but Dengeki is just plain better.

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful head indeed. Too bad I'd have to wait till next month to see in my bookstore. If it were me, I'd just take out that display arm and just leave it as a desktop head display.... and paint it of course :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rare earth magnets for the horn. LED's in a couple of spots. It's got some potential. Can't wait for mine! Great reason to buy HGUC Unicorn... x_x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dengeki is my favourite gunpla magazine. Too bad it is damn hard to find at my place and i had to download the magazine monthly in JPEG images from file sharing sites... :-( I still prefer to buy it in a book itself though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. dont know where i can find a magnet that small!

    ReplyDelete
  5. eeeeeeeeeeeeee....what months was this HobbyJapan?Was it only available for Japanese Version?

    ReplyDelete
  6. not Hobby Japan. Dengeki Hobby! Jan 2010 #1 issue.

    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kkHpmgyvxvs/SwokEk4oekI/AAAAAAAABbs/5SIq3l4jPaQ/s1600/m.JPG

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. sweet! surely there must be a place in japan where i can buy these

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the Unicorn head display will look great just by itself. Can't wait to see the potential mods that the pro-modelers out there are gonna do to this head display. :D~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Already I can imagine people doing a banshee mod.
    The magnet thing sounds good! LED addition would improve even more. Never worked with LEDs... maybe... it's time.

    ReplyDelete