Thursday, February 9, 2012

Just talking - Early Feb 2012

Well it's been a year since I've been back and I have to admit that I'm kind of surprised at the amount of gunpla I've managed to get in since I've been back. It really helps to have so many unfinished kits to work on.

Granted I’m not always doing gunpla stuff... I spent most of my time looking at other people's work but gunpla has definitely been a consistent thing during the past year. Off and on. There’s always something to work on.

Recently it’s been trying to improve my photo taking ability and that really hasn’t worked out so well due to my lighting situation and generally how I like to take shots. I generally do it with one lamp light and it tends to flood the shot and cause some saturation making things 'glow'. Maybe there are some settings on my camera for it but... yeah.

My talent is in making models not photographing them. I can’t be bothered with the setup. I’m kind of a guerrilla photographer like that. I want to get the angles, the poses, keep my hands steady and go for it. I don't like spending a lot of time setting things up. It’s hard to get the angles I want with a tripod (even though I have one) so it all comes down to a cool hand in my case. What makes matters worse is that I generally shoot low light shots which just compounds the damage. What to do... Oh well.

Here’s a shot that I quite like of the White Demon and Ebon Enforcer, plus some shots of Elenor and Shino combination mode I called Elenor Assault Setting. Painting will be happening on both kits sooner than later. My sister said she wants my pink armour parts because she wants to go for purple and pink would be a good base for that. If I can keep the blue parts I may keep most of it as is and just do some highlights, detailing and panel lining. We're both gonna sit on the idea for a bit.


hm.. same camera but different light settings.  It's definitely my lighting setup that's the problem.

Got something planned for the dark face too.

A bit blurry and saturated.  Can't quite get it right with this lamp.



5 comments:

  1. i suck at taking photographs too. Most of the time it's too bright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could try to point the lamp away from the model. I would point it at a white wall so it would reflect towards the model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 quick and easy tips that could potentially help a bit without cramping your style:

    1. Buy a "Cool" globe. It will say cool or warm right on the pack. Cool light is more white and more like daylight. Warm light is more yellow, and when combined with a white balance setting that's off is probably why you get a real yellow hue to a lot of your pics.

    2. Next time you're passing a $1 junk shop just stop in and see if you can pick up a couple of small mirrors. Use them to bounce light up from below and illuminate the darker areas.

    Zee has some great and simple tips in his tutorials for Hobbylink TV. Well worth the read.

    Backdrop and Lighting
    Posing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a guerilla graphic designer and experimental photographer. If you have a good enough camera, you can "cheat" better with lighting by using florescent lighting. In most cases, I just use overhead lights angled to where I want the shadows to fall. For single source lighting, I use a florescent table lamp, and diffuse it by wrapping it with 70gsm bond paper or thick tracing paper, depending on how much diffused lighting I need. Then I just play around with the camera's manual shutter speed and f-stop settings till i get the effect I like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the comments everyone! i'm give all of this a shot once i start getting back into it more

    ReplyDelete