Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Timing...

I was thinking... now that I have a relatively large amount of free time, why I don't work on my plamo projects more.

Then I realized that I've kind of trained myself to only work on Gunpla at night after everything else is done.  It was kind of like my reward after doing a bunch of stuff during the day.  Time to relax I guess and just throw myself into that world before I go to sleep.  Mecha dreams!  haha

During the summer when the days are longer I feel like I should be doing other things during the day light hours and when night comes I often find myself out in the city socializing (city boy.  Can't help it.)

So despite the tremendous amount of free time I have, I accomplish surprisignly little as far as plamo goes.  That's unfortunate.  I really feel like I must be one of the slowest gunplars out there!  haha and I get distracted so easily too.  Just want to keep building.  Building building building.  I buy because I can.  And because they look cool.  There's so many things I want to do but realistically..?  Yeah I say that but I'm not going to stop.  I'm an addict.

During my Sinanju days I'd commit the time.  Commit the time... I just really wanted to see the finished product.  I was impatient so I pushed.  Now I'm just so relaxed and have set my pace up that I don't rush anything.

I'm not saying that I want to change as I'm quite happy with my life right now just the way it is but it is something worth noting.  I was unintentionally limiting my Gunpla time because I've set it up as a type of reward mechanism.

When do you like to work on your models and for how long does a 'session' usually last for you?  Just curious to hear how other people do it.

Now... can't have a post without pics so... here's an old one from back in the day.  People who've frequented this blog from the beginning may remember this one.

3 comments:

  1. When it comes to test builds, I could go on snipping, clipping and cleaning up for hours (provided that I have some music to listen to ;)). Painting usually ends when I run out of pieces to paint - it's a chore to clean up the airbrush after work (I mean really clean it, not just to prepare it for next colour), so I try to paint as much as possible in one session - it usually adds up to ~2 hours (haven't been quite keeping track).

    Decals... don't have much experience with that, but so far I've been working in short bursts rather than long sessions.



    I have noticed something odd, though - I work and I work and I'm always (ok, twice) surprised to notice: "Hey... Wait, a sec, I have only the final assembly left and then I'm finished O_O When did that happen?" Weird feeling, like I missed something :D

    PS: Nice pic - it's always fun to play with lightning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I start on a kit, I make sure to finish it in one sitting, rather than build a arm or a leg, put it aside for days, and then pick it up later again. So when I work on a HG kit, it could take maybe 3-5 days, and a MG kit may demand anywhere between 1 to 2 weeks since I don't paint my kits. I'm a slow builder who gets easily distracted too, heh. This works for me because I usually build my kits during my semester breaks.

    I work on only one kit at a time, mainly because I don't have space for multiple WIPs at one go, and so that I don't get confused. Besides, leaving a piece of work unfinished to work on another kit doesn't quite appeal to me. ;; I like seeing the project through from beginning to end in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. igro - yeah i feel the same way as you when it comes to music. i have to have something playing all the time. but i usually only go for 30min to 1h.

    i usually only paint a couple of pieces at a time. assemble and check and possibly repaint. i dont do it all at once. thats probably smart but im more of a piece by piece kind of guy.

    decals i tend to go a bit longer on because i use mark softener and i want to have a whole section done so it can soften up all together.

    i know what you mean about finishing though. i get like that sometimes too.

    Evangelisque -
    i wish i could be as focused as you. my life is way too busy to commit that type of time. i respect your work ethic!

    ReplyDelete