Thursday, July 30, 2009

Flash vs. No Flash

Well I arrived safely. Had a lot of time in Korea to reply to comments here and on other peoples blogs. One of the most painless stopovers I've ever had. The whole place has wireless internet!

So now that I'm back home I've been busy helping my family with a bunch of tech problems. (Got assaulted with a bunch on the car ride back from the airport. ps3 rock band instruments arent working, internet isn't working, printer isn't working blah blah blah. Fixed them all in 2 days.) I spent a good part of today cleaning up my old models. They were dusty and in weird poses. I don't know who's playing with them. Probably mom. She said they keep calling down... so she put my Buster Gundam in some crazy yoga pose. I mean... wtf? I didn't take a picture of it because it really disturbed me and I felt that it was un-natural.

I'm going to go backwards a bit with some work I've been doing on my G04. In order to understand what's going on here I'm going to have to outline the steps I did.

1. Wanted panel lines
2. Etched them in without really thinking about it.
3. Inked
4. Didn't like the design so I sanded them down. Lines didn't go away.
5. Tried to cover over it with primer. Didn't work totally.
6. Sanded a bit... Didn't help
7. Decide to just do a hardcore sanding of the lines. Left deep grooves in the plastic but got everything back to it's base colour.
8. Puttied.
9. Sanded.
10. Primed again.
11. Sprayed with white. Didn't like the resulting tone.
12. Sanded again.

And that's what you see below. A mixture of all those steps on the lower leg and knee armour.




These two pictures are exactly the same in every way except for the flash. Which one looks better to you? Personally I always side towards no flash in pictures if it can be avoided. Not just for models but for anything. I'm kind of anti flash I think. However I have noticed that most top modellers never use a flash when they're taking their pictures.

7 comments:

  1. No flash all the way, it creates much stronger shadows and sometimes they're a bit offputting. I'm by no means a good modeller or photographer but I always bust out manual mode and experiment a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, I've never had a good picture with flash, it always drowns out most of the color in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No flash for me as well. But I am no pro at shooting photos. I struggle with focusing without using flash. =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate using flash with a passion (probably because I don't know how to use it well). For taking models, it is best to have as much light as possible or compensate with camera settings. Flash gives Gundam model that... pale "aura" around it and everywhere else dark. Looks like crap if you ask me ^^. Oh and your mom is awesome if she actually cares enough to even touch it :D. Using flash on WIP photos doesn't really affect as much... maybe try taking photos of a completed model to compare? ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. james - yeah i know what you mean. flash photos remind me of camping for some reason. like you're walking around with a flash light and it creates these really strong shadows. our eyes arent used to seeing the world like that.

    g.g. focusing without flash isnt so hard as keeping a steady hand to reduce blur. enter the tripod. haha

    z - i have! thats coming in my next post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anti Flasher and a Tripodian here... X3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well not coming from an expert,but I think lighting only good if the area is not well lit.

    ReplyDelete