Friday, December 26, 2008

MSN-06S Sinanju - Work Log - Cleaning, Priming, Painting

6:05pm

I'm not sure why people do it exactly. Maybe to make sure there's no dust on the surface before painting (even though they just came out of sealed plastic bags?!) but for some reason I felt like I should do it so I washed the panels with some soapy water and hung them up to dry. Unfortunately, I don't own a blow dryer to speed up the process. So maybe some Ace Combat to kill time?

8:00pm

Just finished priming. Went through a lot of it just on the red panels alone. Cold outside, wind blew the primer onto my forearms and turned the hair grey. Letting the panels dry now. Hope I have enough paint for this project... Spray cans are a waste but they're cheap conpared to the cost of getting an airbrush and compressor.

Midnight

Finished all major spraying operations. Ran out of paint on the last panel! Should have picked up some more when I was out today but it can wait. Think I might go the Impulse way and assemble the frame first just to see what I'm working with. Even though I'm spraying outside I still have the smell of paint in my nose. ugh. Probably should leave the panels outside to dry instead of inside but... don't want to risk some foreign substance blowing in on the wind and ruining the paint job... What should I do? Might take the gamble. Don't want the smell of paint in a small apartment like mine.

Here's a random picture that has nothing to do with what I said.


I like the Fed girl better. How about you?

2 comments:

  1. I've heard most people do this is because Bandai use this chemical which makes the plastic not stick to the molds they come out of (makes it easier to remove from the mold). This chemical also makes paint 'not stick' to the part. So for the people who paint their models, they wash it with some warm soapy water :)

    ReplyDelete