Sunday, January 13, 2008

Beginnings

I create this blog primarily to detail/chronicle my experiences with plastic modelling, or "plamo" (PURAMO/プラモ/PLAstic MOdels) specifically... Gundams. I've been making these for some time now and only recently did I start to take them a bit more... seriously. I realized that making these models gave me a lot of pleasure... but I particularly enjoyed seeing the process. Seeing people make these things and then seeing the finished product was the best part for me. Here's an example taken from Dalong's site.



After seeing things like this I realized that to be a good modeller you also need a good artisitic sense. I studied art all through out high school and in a different lifetime I'd probably be a professional illustrator now instead of a teacher. Gunpura in a sense combined so many of my loves all into one activity. Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Mechanics, Art and the possibility of self expression through design and modifications. Really... you are only limited by your own imagination.

But for me its all about the process, so that's what this blog is going to be about. Keep in mind that I'm not a master model builder by any stretch of the imagination. Only now am I just starting to try, so this blog will be a sort of online journal for myself so I can see my process and hopefully learn from my mistakes.

So a bit about myself. For me it all started when I was 16, growing up in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada (a suburb just outside of the largest city in the country, Toronto). While working in an "electronic arts" class in high school a Chinese friend showed me a picture of a robot which I thought was the coolest thing ever. He told me that this was called a 'Gundam'.



Shortly after that time but within the same year, I was at another friends house and I saw a model robot on his desk. I asked him what it was and he said "It's called 'Gundam' and my friend brought it back from Japan." I said to myself, "Gundam again! I must have one!". Later on that year I bought my first one.



It wasnt the best kit ever but it was really fun to make. This is where it all started. Initially I knew nothing of the storylines concerning these mecha. That would change later. I never painted any of the kits I bought. Just assembled them. But this kit was enough to start an addiction that I've never been able to satiate since.

Click here to see all the kits I have and if you want to take a look at some models that I think are really good click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment